Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Thee 4 Main questions

What are your achievements?

One of my major achievements I’ve completed took me 12 years to complete. I was 7 when I joined Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Midlands, not even knowing it would ever take Keely and I this far. Our friendship is the most solid one can get. Although she is 36, a married mother of two, we share plenty of likes and dislikes. We are so much alike but very opposite. We enjoy similar activities such as volunteering, artwork, shopping, swimming, going out to eat, watching movies, or participating in “little moments, big magic.” Our appearances are not everything or even anything to us, but it is noticeable by others.
Keely is about 5’4, a Caucasian woman. I am Cuban and African American, I stand about 5’6 and I am only 16. I think it is our differences that support our loyal friendship throughout these years. Just having her as a friend, close enough to be considered family, one who provided a lasting honest friendship is 1st and foremost my biggest achievement.
I found one of my life long passions when I gladly accepted the role of being a volunteer for a local hospital. I started in December of 2005. My goal is to continue my duty as a hospital volunteer until I am physically unable to walk. Through the years of hard work, I’ve come to realize how hospitals and other organizations would crumble without volunteers. I consider this as an achievement currently and on going until I reach my goal. In my free time when volunteering at the hospital is not open on weekends you are sure to find me at work or volunteering for another organization such as Bridge to Success, Student Council, or Big Brothers, Big Sisters. To me helping others doesn’t come with a price tag.



What issues matter to me?

Laundry should be the only thing separated by color. Racism is strongly prevalent in today’s society. I hope everyone is aware that discrimination is not only between whites and blacks but also between others from varying ethnicities, and it doesn’t always start with one general race. The root of racism starts by being taught. Adults, guardians, and caregivers ‘teach’ their children to follow their views to keep the spirit of racism alive. Children do not see hate, they see color which links motivates to hate due from past instances.


I believe racism is still expressed in peoples actions, we may not hear tons of it on the news or in newspapers, simply because man has perfected it to be silent. No one ever give a reasonable argument for their racism and I find it a shame that these people still exists. In such a nation that still has this issue, my parents always preached, not to let ANYONE get in your way. I understand exactly what that means now. Accomplishments don’t have a color, but there are some that don’t think that way.











Who has been an influence on you?





The person who's had the greatest influence on me is Keely Greenlee. I have grown up with her the majority of my life. She taught me life long lessons I apply to life til this day. Keely has helped me develop my talents, and has worked with me on subjects i didn't enjoy in school, such as English. She isn't my parent, nor God- Mother, but she's a well-educated teacher and my best friend. I don't know too many people that have best friends in their 30ths whom influenced them to become a better person, but i do. And i am very grateful for her.



Why do you want to become a Creighton blue jay?

I would look at it as an honor to be accepted at Creighton. I have visited campus a few times, it's definitely number 1 on my list. I hope to peruse a career in dentistry. I have done research on the dental program, considering things change, the class size is an excellent size and the ratings are very high for over excellence. I hope to join the American Student Dental Association program. Starting college, I don't want to leave my home, Creighton is only a 10 minute drive away. This provides the perfect distance away from home and my community. Any other school in Omaha that offers a dental program is not what I am looking for. Being in the medical field is a huge goal, I feel I have no choice but to accomplish. Living with just my mother my whole life, I have seen her struggle to make ends meet. It's not a picture perfect deal either. She's worked 2 jobs, day and night for the last 17 years, and at one point she held down a third job for a year or so. I hardly ever see her because she works around the clock all the time, my sisters and I accept it because we are teenagers now, so we can take care of ourselves. I don't want to be that way, I need higher education to fall back on. My mother didn't go to college, neither did my father, but I am sure if they did life would not be such a struggle. Who am i to say life is easy without struggles? I am not, but the less there are thrown at you left in right, the less stressed you can be.












No comments: